Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Using Informational Text

Even for the primary child reading and being able to gather facts from the text is IMPORTANT!
In my packets you will see two forms of informational text and I want to share with you how I use them.
First I require on my supply list that each child bring 4 different color highlighters and a pack of sticky notes.  These are then placed in a baggie in the student's desk.

We use these almost daily.  The students love it and I think it helps them set up healthy habits for the future.

The first form of text you will often see in my packet is this.
A single page filled with informational text.
This one goes along with my penguin packet.
Step One: 
We read the text box by box.
I have this posted up on the SMART Board so I can work right along with the students.
A volunteer reads box one.
Using yellow I have the students highlight what the paragraph is about.
They can circle the pronouns using a pencil and using another color highlight the underlined words.
Step Two:
We reread the paragraph.
Using orange we highlight two things penguins like to do.
Step Three:
We discuss the underlined words.

Next we go to the second box. 
Again we have a volunteer read it and highlight what the paragraph is about.
Again we highlight the underline word.
Next on a sticky note I have them write one thing they learned after reading that paragraph.
Finally we discuss the underlined word and its meaning.
In the third paragraph we use our final color highlighter to highlight where I might see a penguin.
We then make a list as a class of other places we might find penguins.

EVEN YOUR LOWEST READER WILL NOW BE FAMILIAR WITH THE TEXT AND AS THEY COMPLETE THE ACTIVITIES THAT ACCOMPANY THESE THEY WILL HAVE KEY INFORMATION HIGHLIGHTED.

Let' s take a look at the mini book provided in most all packets.
Similar actions can be taken.
Have someone read the text.
Highlight key vocabulary and facts.
Reread the text.

Look at this page and how it might support understanding of the life cycle.
They now see this text as support for their writing and completing activity pages.
On the blank page opposite the text have the students list other places they might see a penguin.



0 comments:

Post a Comment