Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Dental Health Lesson

One of my favorite themes to teach during the month of February is Dental Health.
It is ideal for using informational text to encourage research.
I also like to embed reading, writing and word work into the theme.
Take a look here at how I might teach one lesson from this packet.
As students enter I have the word search on their desk to work on.
I also place on each students desk a sticky note.
When class begins I ask:
What do you think of when I say DENTAL HEALTH?
On the Smart Board I would have DENTAL HEALTH written at the top.
I give the students a minute or two to write their thought.
Calling on one student I ask what they wrote.
Maybe they say teeth.
I ask if any other students had the same idea.
Then ask ...Who has another idea?
Continue with this until all ideas are shared.
As the students give their thought write it on the Smart Board and begin to compile a list.

Following this exercise I share a video about Dental Health.
Ask the class if there is any other information we can add to our list on the board after watching this video.  
While they are watching the video I would be collecting the sticky notes and putting a book on each students desk.
I also have this loaded on my SMART Board so we can read together.
You can use these mini books in so many ways BUT what I like best about them is they can be read and reread.  Each student has text they can return to over and over.
While we are reading the book together we are highlighting key vocabulary and facts.
The next time we will use this book is in our small groups.
In the small groups we reread and gather facts on these sheets.

Another suggestion for small groups is the READING FOR DETAIL!
Read together then read the questions and highlight the answers.  
Depending on the level of students they can independently write the answers using complete sentences.
Other pages are ideal for the literacy centers.
ABC Order, Syllables
My favorite to do with the whole group is "making words".
I like to make a challenge out of it having students work in teams and see who can come up with the most words.  I encourage them to work quietly so others do not hear what words they are coming up with.
If laminated these vocabulary words are great for parent helpers or hands on practice.
ABC order or Syllables
I always make on copy to keep and post them with the books suggested for Dental Health.
They also work well posted in the writing center for spelling support.


 Using the facts gathered during our small groups student complete the pre write sheet using the facts.
More advanced writers can add more details.
Final write pages are provided for student finished products.

At the end of your lessons during the week have students complete this as a final assessment.
End your day by adding to your list of things they learned about Dental Health.

I love this game that is included in the packet.
You can have partners or small groups play.
I love this style game because it encourages communication and sharing of thoughts.


And these adorable teeth brushing characters are ideal for decorating the classroom or writing pages.

There is a complete section in the packet ideal on brushing teeth.

And another section focuses on going to the dentist.

Finally there are delightful literature suggestions followed by activities to accompany them.

This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!
The packet also has activities about the tooth fairy that fit with this wonderful story about the tooth fairy.

And another favorite...

Especially when paired with this video.
Just look at all these wonderful ideas!!


















1 comment:

  1. I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. Invisalign Northampton

    ReplyDelete